Saturday, September 9, 2017

Do you want to remember more things you learn?

This morning, I did the normal morning routine. Hopped out of bed, used the rest room and start looking for interesting things to learn.

As I was looking for interesting things, I start thinking to myself. " I learn so much information and I forget so much of the information at the same time."

Then I did what everyone does, I googled it. And I found myself clicking an attractive headline, which read:

"How To Retain 90% of Everything You Learn". 

Great headline, right!

The writer starts the article having us imagine having a bucket of water. And every time the bucket was filled up, 90% of the water leaked out. Which you would ultimately fill up once or get a larger bucket.

The writer then goes into depth and explains the idea by saying that's how our minds work. When we receive new information from a book, a lecture, an audio book and so on. We're really just wasting our time because we're not properly learning.

The writer then brought up the idea of "The Learning Pyramid". 

On a quick side note, I'm only giving you my take away from the article, which I think you should definitely read for yourself. The link is below.

But, back my take away.

He basically says we as people struggle with remembering the things because we don't teach what we learn. That's the key.

We have to teach what we learn to help keep the information in our heads.

I can completely agree with this thought processes. For the past few weeks, I've been studying the copy writing industry and they have a similar idea.

They say the best way to learn copy writing is to rewrite great copy writing.

When you learn something new and teach someone, it begins making more sense in your own brain.

Like what I'm doing right now. I'm writing out what I learned to the best of my ability and it's making more sense as I'm writing this out.

I think the main reason is that I'm probably not 100% correct on what I'm saying. But it doesn't matter. The goal is to make mistakes and learning from those mistakes. Like, I'm probably not giving you the best take away but the more I'm talking about this, I'm becoming more confident in this idea.

By taking the steps and either talking to someone about what you've learned or if you have no one, simply writing it down will increase your memory of new information ten fold.

So the next time you learn something new, teach someone.

That's the key to retaining new information that goes into your brain.

Now, go check out this article and let me know what your take away is. Let me know what you've learned from the article and let's discuss it together.

Teach me something.

Link to the article below:
https://www.psychotactics.com/art-retain-learning/


No comments:

Post a Comment